Download managers are no longer a novelty for power PC users, since they can make the difference between waiting minutes or whole hours for a download to complete, as well as resuming it when the connection breaks down. Among these tools, Free Download Manager is one of the best when it comes to both cost and efficiency.
Download managers have developed a lot, so that most of them rely on basically the same set of features, so the main differences between these programs have come down to the interface and the way they interact with browsers.
Its interface is well organized and structured, so less experienced users will be able to find their way around it without any hassle, while experts can configure it as they see fit.
Since it competes among the best, Free Download Manager comes with support for torrents, a download scheduler, detailed file information as well as the ability to download Flash videos. In addition, it features an advanced organizer for storing downloaded files in distinct folders.
One of the features that sets Free Download Manager apart from other similar software is the fact that it contains a media converter - although it supports only common formats (AVI, FLV, WMV, MEPG, MP4 and MP3), it does come in handy to be able to encode a video within the same app used for downloading it.
Furthermore, users can also extract the contents of the archives they download within the app or even perform a virus check using the antivirus solution installed on the computer. Users who rely on dial-up connection can choose to automatically 'hang up' after a download has completed, thus keeping their costs at a minimum.
The Optimization Master is ideal for those who prefer to allow the application to choose the appropriate settings for their connection speed. The export and import functions are useful for saving settings and download lists for later use.
All in all, Free Download Manager is a keeper since it has all the features one might require from such a software. Moreover, it does not stress your CPU every time you start a new download.
Here are some key features of "Free Download Manager":
- Download files using BitTorrent protocol
Upload manager - easy way to share your files:
- Upload your files or folders easily to share them with other users.
Flash video download:
- Download video from video sites, such as Youtube, Google Video, etc. The video can then be saved in native .flv format or converted to one of more popular video formats.
- Create new downloads or view the list of active and completed downloads remotely, via the internet.
- If you want to use Free Download Manager on different computers, you can easily create its portable version and avoid the need to install and configure the program on each computer.
Enhanced audio/video files support:
- Preview audio/video files before download is completed and convert file format after download.
- Free Download Manager splits files into several sections and downloads them simultaneously, allowing you to use any type of connection at the maximum available speed. With FDM download speed increases, or even more!
Resuming broken downloads:
- When the downloading process is interrupted, you needn't start from the beginning again. Free Download Manager can resume broken download from where it was interrupted saving your time, nerves and money.
Smart file management and powerful scheduler:
- With FDM you can easily organize downloaded files by their type, placing them in predefined folders. A smart scheduler allows you to start and pause downloading files, as well as perform other actions (launch other applications, establish or hang up connection, etc.) at the set time.
Adjusting traffic usage:
- There are several traffic usage modes. You can adjust traffic usage for browsing the Internet and downloading files at the same time.
- Site Explorer lets you view the folders structure of a web site and easily download necessary files or folders.
- You can download whole web pages or even whole web sites with HTML Spider. The tool can be adjusted to download files with specified extensions only.
Simultaneous downloading from several mirrors:
- Free Download Manager is able to download files from several mirrors simultaneously.
Zip files partial download:
- Free Download Manager lets you download only the necessary part of a zip file.
Active spyware and adware protection through active communication among users:
- You can read what other community members say about the file you are going to download, right in the program window, and also leave your own opinion about the file you downloaded. In this way FDM users are always warned against useless or malicious files.
Multi language support:
- Free Download Manager is translated into 30 languages. Supported languages are: Macedonian, Serbian, Albanian, Croatian, Korean, Arabic, Brazilian Portuguese, Bulgarian, Chinese Traditional, Chinese, Czech, German, Dutch, French, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese-Brazil, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Uzbek, Greek, Vietnamese, Slovenian, Persian.