Recover4all Professional is a simple-to-use program that can retrieve files which have been lost or deleted from your hard drive.
This is a portable tool, so installing Recover4all Professional is not required. It means that you can store the app on a USB flash drive or any other removable device, save it to any computer and directly run its executable file. Therefore, the Windows registry is not accessed and no leftover files can be found after program removal.
The interface of the application is based on a standard window and has an uncomplicated but dull layout. Recover4all Professional automatically starts the scanning procedure once you select the target drive.
During the file identification process you can check out a progress bar, progress percentage and number of found files items.
Results are displayed on the right pane where you can check out the name, size, recovery chances and start sector of each discovered file. All you have to do is specify the output drive (different from the scanned drive) and let Recover4all Professional take care of the rest. In addition, you can make the app locate long FAT filenames and include empty files, as well as disable the thumbnail view.
The straightforward program uses a moderate amount of CPU and system memory, has a good response time and finishes the scanning procedure in reasonable time (depending on the size of the target drive). We have not come any errors in our tests and Recover4all Professional did not freeze or crash.
On the other hand, you cannot customize a filter for the scanning operation, use a standard search function for the found files or preview file content. Also, Recover4all Professional is unusable if your hard drive is unpartitioned and you don't have removable storage units. The interface needs some major improvements as well.
Key features of Recover4all Professional:
- Recovers files which were directly deleted or deleted through the recycle bin.
- Supports all file types including documents, images, movies, music etc.
- Can recover from formatted drives and within deleted folders.
- Supports all NTFS and FAT files systems, all kinds of compressed drives and files, Windows XP/Me protected files, all RAID levels, all third party encrypted drives not encrypted by Windows.
- Supports long filenames in all languages.
- Supports drives recognized by Windows with IDE, SATA, USB, SCSI, PCMCIA, FireWire and other interfaces.
- Supports internal and external drives, e.g. hard disks, USB drives, memory cards (CompactFlash (CF), Smart Media, Secure Digital (SD), Memory Stick (MS), Mulitmedia Card (MMC), xD-Picture Card etc.) and others.
- Multithreaded on FAT drives: you can browse and recover while the program still searches more deleted files.
- Does not require installation to protect already deleted files from becoming overwritten.
- Does not recover files to the drive where they were deleted from in order to protect them from becoming overwritten.